Monday 9 July 2012

Telling stories in 75 words

A bit of background to the title here.

A website I visit on a fairly regular basis runs a monthly story competition (no prizes just the smug sense of success over your peers), the rules of the story are this; you must tell a story in 75 words or less, going off a specific theme and specific genre (it's a science-fiction/fantasy website so the genre is fairly obvious).

I've submitted a story on a few occasions now (never won though). So in today's blog post I'm going to put down all of my previous entries (there's not too many of them, so don't worry), and hope for some reader input. All comments welcome, whether on here or Facebook.

So to begin:

Entry number 1.
Theme; behind the scenes
Genre; fantasy

The Hidden Knife

Hidden from view I hear him arrive, your dearest brother, your greatest rival. Unsuspecting he greets you warmly.

I hear your reply, harsh accusations in a fearful voice.

The warmness is gone, an argument ensues. 

He steps forward and you reach for me, a moments doubt and then swift action. You bury me deep in his chest, bathing me in his warm blood.

Your voice is triumphant as you declare yourself king.


Entry number 2.
Theme; nightmares
Genre; speculative fiction

Dragons Dream True

Fields on fire, fields of pain. The dying make their voices heard.

This is a dream…

High in the darkling sky he deals death to all under his gaze.

Not a dream, a nightmare…

In the hell below nothing now moves, his kin are dead.

I must wake…
Up!

Under a darkling sky he awakes, eyes open upon a scene of carnage.

I didn’t do this, I didn’t kill them…
It was just a dream!


Entry number 3.
Theme; redemption
Genre; speculative fiction

Sacrifice

I’ve led armies and conquered kingdoms. I’ve razed the very earth from atop a great dragon.

I’ve been a loyal servant to an unjust king, destroying in his name, glorying in battle. Damning my soul.

Am I evil?

I was saved by a child. Pure, innocent and heir to a throne. Ordered to die. In her eyes a plea for help.

I died that day, but not in vain. In protecting her I earned redemption.


Entry number 4.
Theme; toys
Genre; steampunk

Poor Rudolf...

“This new airship she’s steam powered, she’ll hit speeds you’ve never even dreamed of.”

“How about storage?”

“Room for everything you need and then some, you won’t be disappointed.”

The big man walked a circuit around the vessel, tugging at his beard.

“You’ve got yourself a deal.”

He pulled out a musket.

“Sir? What are you doing?”

“I have to shoot Rudolf, he’s useless now with my new toy,” Santa said.


Entry number 5.
Theme; innocence
Genre; speculative fiction

Fangs For The Invite

She stands before me clad in white, the very picture of purity. I must have her.

On the threshold of the door I await her invitation. Let me in my dear, let me in.

With a smile and a wave she beckons me in, oh so trusting. Swiftly I’m beside her, my teeth at her neck, her scream quickly stifled.

Ah the innocence of youth, it makes the blood taste oh so sweet.


So there we have it, 5 stories. They're not the best but I'm kinda proud of them, well sorta...

No comments:

Post a Comment