Monday 11 June 2012

Cover me

Well hello and good day little blog of mine, hope you and my legions of followers are well and fine.

*checks for legions of new followers who joined in the night* Damn!!

Today I am going to write a review, I don't know if I am any good at reviews having never attempted one before, but I'm certainly gonna try.

For my first attempt I am going to try a music review, specifically a German cover band review. No don't stop reading now, you will enjoy, I promise (my fingers are crossed anyhow). First things first watch the video, it has to be seen.


Before I begin let me say that this is the best cover song ever, THE BEST! And I say this being a Hayseed Dixie fan, another great covers band. This song is just pure fucking awesomeness!

Just imagine you've done a Marty McFly, you've nicked a DeLorean time machine and ran off back to 1950's America. You're sat in one of those oh so popular American diners, drinking a coffee with enough fucking sugar in it to make you want to run round the world twice, without a break. On the radio rockabilly and doo wop music is at its peak. Chuck Berry, The Big Bopper, Little Richard and Buddy Holly are all still there in the flesh and a young guy called Elvis is just about to be noticed. You're just finishing your cup full of sugar mixed with coffee (and bouncing around like a nutter from the rave culture you've left behind), wondering how the fuck you're gonna get that flux capacitor fixed (I really do have Back to the Future stuck in my head now), when this song comes on the radio...

The Baseballs cover of Snow Patrols Chasing Cars really could have come from that era, it wouldn't have sounded out of place. The original is a brilliant emotive song, it makes you just sit and think and maybe look at a picture of someone you like (I haven't done that, honest). This version makes you want to tap your feet, drum your fingers and maybe grab a random girl and throw some 50's style dance moves. All the while imagining you're attending some cheesy school disco looking to get your parents together before you fade completely from existence.

The barbershop style intro is a little misleading, making you think you may be in for a slow song, then the piano blasts into life and the drummer goes just a little bit nuts and the crowd goes wild. Who needs a mosh pit?? You're in for a hell of a ride with this song, you may not even want to hear the original ever again, or you may do 'cause you might just think I'm spouting a huge pile of bullshit.

It shouldn't work, transforming a haunting love song into a jaunty piano and rock n roll beast, but it does and full credit to the 3 German Elvis soundalikes for pulling it off. Bravo lads.


Well that's my first ever review written, full credit should go to my friend for introducing me to The Baseballs. Now I'm off to make a cup of coffee (coffee, not a sugar fuelled mess of pure fucking energy) and have a well deserved cigarette.


No comments:

Post a Comment