Thursday 21 June 2012

TV theme music FTW

It's raining today, so I'm bored and can't really go out (not that I was planning to go out anyways, but still). So rather than doing something productive like changing the bedding or vacuuming the dog, I'm just gonna sit in front of YouTube all day.

While I'm on YouTube I thought why not look for theme music for some of my favourite TV shows. And after doing that I thought why not make a blog post about my top 10.

Since I can't resist the allure of inflicting nostalgic memories on people, here we go with my top 10 intro themes from shows I loved when growing up.



At number 10 we have Knight Rider, a show about The Hoff and a talking car. The premise was cool and to a young lad the show was cool ('cause every growing boy loves a talking car that can do everything apart from your chores), and the intro theme music was just, well, cool.


In at number 9 we have Streethawk. A classic TV show about a bike that could travel at warp speed! Without the guy riding it ever falling off!! How fucking awesome is that? And the theme music was pretty damn great as well, it got into your head and you'd find yourself humming it as you wandered to school and back.



Star Trek: The Next Generation makes it in at number 8. Could I really call myself a geek if I didn't like some Star Trek? With this version gone was the cheesiness of the 60's original and in came 80's cheese and good moral values. And the theme music is still the best Star Trek theme music ever!



Number 7, but could so easily have been number 1 on a different day is the brilliant Airwolf. Pure helicopter awesomeness! The first 3 seasons with Jan Michael Vincent are the best, the 4th season had some guy named Barry in the lead role, less said there the better. And the intro music is still some of the best music on a TV show ever.



Number 6 is the original Battlestar Galactica. Without a doubt the revamped version is probably the better show, but the original version beats it hands down for it's opening music. It's epic in every sense of the word, far better than the bullshit "music" they used for the new version.



Here we go with number 5, and a theme song so great I just had to have it for my iPod. It is of course The Littlest Hobo, a show about possibly the greatest dog in the history of dogs! Fuck you Lassie, you may be more famous, but you ain't half as cool as London!

 

Number 4. And you knew that this show would be somewhere on this list, because no list of TV show intro's would be complete without the A-Team around. As soon as those awesome opening credits start, you know you're in for a treat, and with Hannibal and his boys you get full satisfaction!



Entering in at number 3 on my list, another theme track that could have made number. It's the theme music for one of the great TV shows of all time, Quantum Leap. I remember my sister and I would watch this religiously, just to see what or who Dr Sam Beckett had become this week. If you've never seen Quantum Leap then you need to give yourself a slap and then get some serious TV time in!



In at number 2 now is the classic 80's show The Fall Guy. Lee Majors made being a stuntman look like the job every boy should aspire to, though our attempts to emulate him usually ended up with grazed knees, bruises and tears as we fell over fences and whatnot. As for the theme, well, I want this song, I am going to make it my life's mission to have this song! It's that cool!



NUMBER 1. The single greatest TV show of all time!!! It's Macgyver. The A-Team need power tools and a fully stocked warehouse to make their weapons, Michael Knight needs a talking car to help him out when he's in trouble. Macgyver needs no ones help whatsoever and give him a ball of string and a box of matches and he'll make a weapon the A-Team can only dream of! Macgyver is the man whom Chuck Norris worships as a living god. And the theme music is genius, I could sit here all day and listen and grin like a fucking idiot. I may possibly be getting a tad excited here, so I'm just going to head off to Amazon and see if I can purchase all 7 seasons of this TV work of art.

Well that's my list of great TV theme music and inserted YouTube clips. You may disagree if you like, but this is my blog, so blah!

2 comments:

  1. What about the theme tune to 'Jane Jane P.I.' that I am going to pitch to Channel 5? It goes (to the tune of maybe Sesame Street) -

    "Mister Jane,
    He'll put your head through a window pane
    He's a spy
    a very naughty private eye

    chorus -

    Oooh yeah, bloody hell x 90"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started singing that, it's catchy! It's definitely going to be on a lot of future lists.....

    ReplyDelete